14.7 C
London
Sunday, May 26, 2024

Flashback – Meghan and Harry: their incognito New Year’s Eve trip to Monaco


Advertisement

Three years ago, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry decided to celebrate the New Year in Monaco. To start the year 2018, they arrived on the Rock in economy class, in the greatest secrecy, but under high protection.

This year, Monaco is very popular with the French. And for good reason: restaurants are open on the Rock. Many inhabitants of the French Riviera therefore succumb to the temptation to go to the Monegasque territory to enjoy a good meal, while in France bars and restaurants are closed because of the Covid-19 epidemic.

A practice that should be banned from this Saturday, January 2, where only residents of Monaco and people working there will be able to go to restaurants. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were far from imagining that there would ever be such restrictions when they decided three years ago to go to the Rock to celebrate the New Year.

Without Archie, who had not yet been born, they had been able to party… until the end of the night? “Monte Carlo is the party capital at this time of year and the British royals had a great time,” a source told the Daily Mail.

Their credo at the time, when they were still unmarried, was to have fun while keeping a low profile. Arriving on the morning of December 31, 2017, the couple would have left on January 2, 2018 at 11 a.m., according to the British media, which had explained that even if it was a private trip, France had done everything possible to make this escapade go smoothly, twenty years after the death of Prince Harry’s mother, Lady Di. France thus “offered” or even imposed the presence of several agents of the Protection Service, the police unit in charge of the security of the personalities. However, their journey was secret. They would have arrived in Nice on a regular British Airways flight in economy class.

A trip in economy class

Probably not used to welcoming members of the royal family, Meghan and Harry occupied three rows of six seats, according to the Daily Mail. The tabloid had received testimony from a passenger who said they had travelled with three bodyguards “uptight and tense” while the two star passengers were camouflaged. William’s brother hiding under a cap, the former Suits actress in a black cap.

It was a two-hour trip, to which it took an additional seven minutes by helicopter to reach Monaco and their friends who were waiting for them to wake up. Were Princess Charlene and Prince Albert part of the party? Rumors had been circulating, but nothing had been confirmed, on the contrary. “I have no information on this subject. I don’t know anything about it. It must have been private if that was the case, but I don’t know anything about it, it’s news to me,” a spokesman for the Princely Palace of Monaco told the Daily Mail.

Photo credits : Agency / Bestimage

Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here